Saturday, January 1, 2011

Air Traffic Control Room

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


Air Traffic Control Room

EGD355 – Environmental Art: Assignment 2, Final Project
Fall 2010 – First Semester, Senior Year.

This was the second and last project of this class. We had until the end of the semester to make the best environment we can using everything we’ve learned so far. Since I had already done a modern type environment (the courtyard), I wanted to go in a futuristic route. All I knew was that I wanted to create a cylindrical room with some sort of central computer unit.

Not really having a clue what I wanted to actually make it, I decided on creating an air-traffic control room. Instead of there being windows, there would be monitors scattered around the room.

After a few quick sketches, I blocked it out to get the general shape and room. Then I started working on the high poly assets. This was the first assignment where I created high quality high polygon models to bake on a low polygon models. It takes a hell of a long time to do this, but it pays off really well.

Also, I got into some trouble with lighting. Some of my curved meshes wouldn’t calculate light correctly. However I did get some pretty awesome help from some guy (or girl?) named obihb on the UDK forums. He was able to help me figure out how to fix my lighting by reversing my UV channels on my mesh. Not sure if it’s the right way to fix it, but hey, it works.

The project never got finished, but it will be since I’m aiming to have it as my main portfolio piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment